Treadmill Walking

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Treadmill Walking

Post by Henry Marczak »

My apartment building has a fitness room, although my wife and I walk a lot outside we also use the treadmill. I'm only on for 10+ minutes but have the front elevated so it's like walking up a grade and speed it up to just under having to run. I also use the stationary rower 2 minutes 500 meters.

From what I've read we should walk for 2 and 1/2 hours everyday, on a treadmill that would be extremely boring although there is a TV in the fitness room (I never turn it on). Some break it up to 1/2 hour sessions through the day. Me and me wife prefer to get outside and walk, sometimes the stairs to our 15th floor apartment.
geosta
Last Name: Stathis
First Name: George
Address: Amfipoleos 18-20 54454 Thessaloniki Greece
Phone: 2310921682

Re: Treadmill Walking

Post by geosta »

Hello Henry,
the official Physical Activity Recommendation from the American Heart Association is 2.5 hours per week - not per day - with increased benefits from 5 hours per week.
It would be great if we all have the time to walk -especially outside- for 2.5 hours every day, but for good health, even 30 minutes per day is enough.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Re:Walking

Post by Henry Marczak »

I went to a 75 minute advanced yoga class yesterday and takes about 30 mins one way 2.5k, I'll be doing that every Thursday at 9am. My wife goes hiking with her friends everyday almost, usually walk on a nature trail for an hour then turn back, the trail she's doing today is around a lake and would take 6 hours, last week with that trail they did 4 hours, Mary Ann is 67.

We're both retired so have to be very active, today my wife after her 2 hour hike will join me for a walk uptown a 25 min walk one way. We don't have any heart or other health issues so all is good, I'm 69.