Swimming

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
hr3george
Last Name: Robbins
First Name: George
Address: 2060B Montreat Drive Vestavia AL 35216
Phone: 2055150469

Swimming

Post by hr3george »

Opinoins please.

I signed up for swimming lessons for adult men at the local Y and the first class was last week. I arrived a few minutes late and rushed to locker room to change into trunks. When I went to the pool area standing there was the instuctor and the other two students totally naked. Learned that the men's pool policy is nude, no trunks no speedos. The class cost for ten lessons $250.00, non-refundable. Is this common in men's health clubs?

What would you do when surprisingly, you were confronted with this issue.

1Kick in the attitude that this is not a big deal, we all have the same equipment.
2 Take off the trunks and join them so you would not come off as a inferior wuss, but don't tell them you will not be back forfeit remaining $225.00
3Keep telling yourself that in time you will get used to it and it would be irresponsible to lose that money.$
4 Turn around, go back to locker, dress and leave, because you would rather lose $250.00 than swim with other guys naked.
JTB
Last Name: Moore
First Name: Jack
Address: 631 boroline road collegeville pa 19426
Phone: 6103897092

Re: Swimming

Post by JTB »

Yeah, that sounds pretty weird. I never heard of a mens health club doing that. Maybe if it was like..a gay club
(not that there's anything wrong with that)...I think I would have asked "Excuse me, but I'm just curious...why are you guys naked?" and see where that took me.
Jack-The-Barber
hellbender451
Last Name: fonte
First Name: matthew
Address: flushing ny 11355

Post by hellbender451 »

I’ve heard of the nude swim class from childhood stories of older folks, but never from my contemporaries. I have no problem going nude under the right circumstances and mood, but, with the compulsory aspect of it, and, not seeing any necessity for it, I can sympathize with your discomfort. I think you have two choices. Dive in, or, small claims court for a refund ($15 filing fee in my burrough).
I would probably ask the club manager if it is truly club policy or if it is just the instructor being a control freak. If it is club policy and, I find that in my contract, I would probably finish the classes and find another place for my next class.
Read your contract for a “nude pool” Claus.
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Post by curdog »

Thats one of the weirdest things I have heard of in a long time.

If it were me I would forget the 250.00 and walk out. I might be leaving behind me some money and swimming lessons, but at least I would still have my dignity and self-respect.
hr3george

Post by hr3george »

Thanks for your response guys. Suppose to have another class tomorrow, but I am going in early to see the manager about the policy and a possible refund.
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Post by Bridge »

I think that if they give you any trouble on a refund, you should contact the Better Business Bureau. Their policy is weird indeed.
hellbender451

Post by hellbender451 »

I hope things work out. Let us know.
hr3george

Post by hr3george »

Got my refund.
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Post by SPEARHEAD »

I have never been a member of the YMCA. I also am not a nudist, but I have researched the topic. According to my research, it has always been the policy of the YMCA to swim in the nude. Teddy Roosevelt swam across the Potamac River on at least one occasion, while president, in the nude. Benjamin Franklin used to take nude air baths with the windows wide open. I remember my first day of P. E. in Junior High. We all had to take a shower at the end of the period. There were no stalls. It was an open bay. I was horrified. i ran home and told my folks about it and begged them to get me out of P.E. They told me there was nothing they could do about it and I had to go ahead with it - even though public nudity was against their religious beliefs. It scarred me for life. I went through with it because I had no choice. But you don't have to. You have a choice. If you can get your money back do so. If not, then count it as an expensive lesson.
hellbender451

Post by hellbender451 »

Glad you got your refund.