Back and Knee pain

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Back and Knee pain

Post by curdog »

I have had some back pain in the last few days. I changed the perepetual lesson ab exercise from a circular motion to a twisting motion (maybe changing Atlas recommendation was not good). Anyway, I couldn't do the exercises yesterday and reduced them by half from the number I usually do today. Also, I divided the workout into three segments to help find out where the pain is coming from. I did the Atlas style sit ups this morning and found that when I pressed down into the knees as he says to do that there was some discomfort, but not overwhelming.

The good news is that the pain seems to be coming from meat and not from bone in the spine.

Any suggestions?

O, also I have had some knee pain. This could be from bike riding, rather than the situps. I ride about 12 miles when I don't do the Atlas walk. Or this could be from going all the way down with the knees over the toes. I rested yesterday do the the back and don't hurt at all today.

Any suggestions about that, either?
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Re: Back and Knee pain

Post by Bridge »

When you do your squats or deep knee bends, only go half way down, and maintain good posture, keeping your knees behind your toes. Just pretend you are sitting down in a chair and getting back up. You can begin by actually sitting down in a chair and getting back up, and then come down and barely touch the chair and go right back up. This has eliminated my knee problems. Do crunches instead of situps, this will help your back pain, Good luck.
curdog

Post by curdog »

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll try it and let you know how it goes!

One of the things I have enjoyed about Atlas is the nice people I have met on this forum.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

When I first started Tai Chi Chuan and bicycle riding my knees would be very sore, my TCC teacher told me it would pass and it did. Its best to go slow when doing deep knee bends, this makes the exercise more strenuous plus you won't get knee injuries. Don't forget to do the backward bending exercises with forward bending.
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Post by Bridge »

curdog wrote:Thanks for the helpful information. I'll try it and let you know how it goes!

One of the things I have enjoyed about Atlas is the nice people I have met on this forum.
How is it going, Curdog? Any improvement?
curdog

Post by curdog »

My back is better. I started doing the crunches instead of situps and leg ups, though I still do them sometimes. I sort of mix it up now. This back pain did not come from my spine, it hurt on my lower back around the back corners of my waist. Sort of where love handles would be. It is a muscle soreness that extends all the way across my back, but concentrated on the love handles. I have never experienced anything quite like it before.

My knees still hurt and I have started going only half way down and being more conscious of toe and knee alignment. Lunges really hurt. I am training for a bicycle 100 mile trip (century), and so sometimes I go for twenty miles. I don't feel the knee pain then, but the next day it flares up a bit. I'm going to take the word of the martial arts instructor and hope that it just goes away on its own (like my back pain is doing).
ca_admin
Site Admin

Post by ca_admin »

NOTE FROM FORUM ADMIN:
IF YOUR KNEE KEEP HURTING GO TO A FOOT DOCTOR AND ASK THEM TO TEST YOU ABOUT FITTING YOU WITH ORTHOTICS. SOMETIMES THE ARCH IN YOUR FOOT MIGHT HAVE FALLEN A BIT AND IT ENDS UP HURTING YOUR KNEE AND THEN YOUR HIP. IF IT ISN'T THAT THEN THE FOOT DOCTOR WILL TELL YOU WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU SHOULD DO. IF YOUR HEALTH CARE PLAN DOESN'T PROVIDE FOR YOU TO GO DIRECTLY TO A FOOT DOCTOR THEN GO TO YOUR PRIMARY CARE DOCTOR FIRST AND ASK THEM ABOUT YOUR KNEE AND THEN ASK TO GO TO A PODIATRIST (FOOT DOCTOR). AND IF YOU AREN'T IN A HEALTH PLAN AND GO TO A CHIROPRACTOR THEY USUALLY ALSO CAN GET YOU A GOOD PAIR OF ORTHOTICS. IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING A PROBLEM AFTER YOU GET ORTHOTICS THEN GO BACK TO YOUR REGULAR DOCTOR. HOPE THIS HELPS. FORUM ADMIN
curdog

Post by curdog »

Thanks for that advice. I know just how good it is, because I do have bad feet and have gotten professionally made inserts for my shoes. Come to think of it, I have been leaving them in my dress shoes and not having them in my tennis shoes, and sometimes I go barefoot when I do my dts. I think you are really on to something there!