Home Modifications?

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
Hux
Last Name: Huxley
First Name: Michael
Address: 2404 Bush St San Francisco CA 94115

Home Modifications?

Post by Hux »

I'm just curious, does everyone do all the Atlas course exactly as proscribed in the book? Or does anyone do any personal modifications to the programs or exercises? For my part, once I'm done with the course, I'm thinking of viewing it more as menu and taking one or two exercises from each lesson and do them every day. Every few weeks pick new exercises just to keep things interesting. I've always toyed with the idea of replacing the chairs called for with a swiss ball for added instability.

Does anyone else modify or am I the only one?
william s
Last Name: stacy
First Name: william
Address: 12400 winfree st chester va 23831

Re: Home Modifications?

Post by william s »

I believe that once you are in the perpetual lessons there is a great deal of flexibility. I make changes every month or so. One month I may focus on a large number of handstand pushups and do very few dips. Another month I will do large numbers of dips with the exclusion of other exercises. I also change reps quite a bit. I will do 50 rep sets on the dips with a few minutes rest for a couple of weeks then switch to say 4 or 5 slow reps with only 10 seconds rest in-between sets. I will also see how many reps of each exercise i can do in 15 minutes. You can even change the order that you are doing the exercises in. For dips I use chairs, pushup handles, and hanging rings. I believe that I do better with variety, this way I wont get bored and will keep exercising like I should.
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Post by curdog »

Two things: First, the most important thing is that you make DT a life-long endeavor. If your plan will keep you motivated to keep on with DT, then it is a good plan. Variety is, after all, "the spice of life." Second, constant repetition, doing the same things over and over with the same intensity is a certain recipe for boredom and INJURY. Corpel Tunnel Syndrome, Tennis Elbow, etc. are caused by this. Variety will keep your from injury, which will also enable you to have the option of continuing DT. Just some things for you to consider.

Here are some of the things I try to do to have some consistency, however, to my DT program. I try always to work out in the morning and evening, and to have my three mile walk. This keeps the metabolism up and going. That, to me, is the heart of the program and the genius of it all. I think of those two work-outs and the walk as the outline, and whatever exercises I put in as the sub-points. Or it may be thought of in this way. The work-out schedule is the superstructure of the house, the nutrional segment is the foundation, and the specific exercises are the furnishings.
geosta

Post by geosta »

Hello, I'm George from Greece and a proud Atlas student. It's really a Great physical program and I have been working out for a long time with a lot of techniques and aparatus before choosing Atlas course and stack with it.

I don't make any modifications to the Atlas program and I follow it religiously. I am doing the full Atlas course 2 times per year and I am doing the perpetual training the other 6 months. I am doing the full course from March to May and from September to November.

Because every time I am doing the full course I am stronger than the last time it gives me better results than the last time. Results that the others can see and admire, asking me if I am doing bodybuilding and weightlifting again. Every time I explain them that I don't lift weitgts any more because I follow the best -without weights or apparatus- training system, the Charles Atlas Dynamic Tension System!
Atlas Evangelist
Last Name: Merritt
First Name: Nathaniel
Address: 6655 South Oquirrh Ridge Road West Jordan Utah 84081
Phone: 8019555471

Post by Atlas Evangelist »

When finished with the initial course, pick out the exercises that worked best for you. Excercises for the entire body. Split them into two full-body workouts per day. I spend 45 minutes per session. I do not work out on Sunday. Even God had to rest.

Atlas Evangelist
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

I do most of my training on Sundays, during the week isn't so intense since I work physically and Saturday is a bit of a re-coup day, so Sunday I train hard all morning. Some guys seem to focus mostly on the dips but there's lots more to the Atlas System than dips. I always do my dips on 3 chairs and if you want to make them tougher, you can do dips with one arm, if your new to this, first start with the regular two arm position then as you go down, lean to one side. Just be careful when doing them and don't strain yourself. If you can't do them then don't.