Handstand

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Handstand

Post by emfermi »

I have never been able to perform a handstand, not even as a kid. One of my goals for this summer (in Peru, summer time is during the first months of the year) is to be able to do so. I am very confident that I have the strength to do it, DT has taken care of that! But I still have a fear to fall and injury myself. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it? I will greatly appreciate it.
william s
Last Name: stacy
First Name: william
Address: 12400 winfree st chester va 23831

Re: Handstand

Post by william s »

I would start out by walking your feet up a wall. Stand with your back to the wall then squat down, place your feet against the wall and walk them up while walking your hands closer to the wall. Once in the handstand position just hold it there for a few seconds. Walk your feet back down the wall. Try to lengthen the amount of time that you are in the handstand position. Over time you should gain confidence and strength in your shoulders. The first few times you could just walk your feet up the wall about half way, then over time keep walking them up till you are completely vertical. Over time you can even progress to doing handstand dips, but for now take it slow. This should give you the confidence needed to do them away from the wall. There are a number of good videos on the internet that demonstrate the procedure.
tarzan
Last Name: Bennett
First Name: Chris
Address: 180 Donnelly Street Armidale NSW Australia 2350
Phone: 0267729556

Post by tarzan »

take it slowly, ensure that if you have to fall there's plenty of soft things to fall on, my best advice practice makes perfect, good luck
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Post by emfermi »

Thank you very much for the advice. I had to move some furniture around to get a clear space. I will try the "walking technique". When I am comfortable with that I guess I can progress to the "kicking against the wall" one. I will keep you posted on my progress.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

emfermi wrote: But I still have a fear to fall and injury myself. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it? I will greatly appreciate it.
Learn to fall, some martial arts teach falling.