lat excercises

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
william273
Last Name: henning
First Name: william
Address: south carolina

lat excercises

Post by william273 »

can anyone suggest a good excercise for developing the lats?

thanks,

william
william s
Last Name: stacy
Address: 12400 winfree st chester va 23831

Re: lat excercises

Post by william s »

Pullups. I personally like close grip chinups and pullups. These also work the arms. There are also a number of excellent back exercises in the Atlas course. If you have ever noticed male gymnasts their lats are very wide. These are from pullups. There is no exercise with weights that can equal the pullup variations. Do not neglect your shoulders and chest which will get an excellent workout from Atlas dips. Slowly increase the number you do over time. Do not rush it or try to do too much at one time. The Atlas course is a lifetime pursuit. The results will come if you give it time.
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Post by emfermi »

In my experience, the dips and exercise #3 from lesson 1 are the best to develop the lats :D I remember that after my first week on DT, I was mostly surprised by my chest and lat development. Up to that point, I had no idea that I had lats. Keeps us posted on your progress.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

Exercise one lesson six. I was doing this exercise in my living room when discovered that by having my calf against the sofa gave me very stable balance and able to focus better on the lat muscles.
william273
Last Name: henning
Address: south carolina

Post by william273 »

thanks guys. :D

william
geosta

Post by geosta »

I agree with Henry and William. Both chin ups and Lesson Six excersises (along with the first excersises from Lesson Five) are great for the lats.

I just want to add my personal story. I was doing bodybuilding when I was younger and I was able to do at most 16 chin ups in a row. We are talking about the age 18-26 with 72 to 76 kgs weight.

In the last 2 years I am following Charles Atlas course. Now, I am 38 years old and I can chin myself up 22 times without stopping. And I am 10 kgs heavier than I was (about 87 kgs). (Ok, ok, I know that I have to loose weight but 1 year before I was 98 kgs, so I am in the right way. I gain most of these kgs when I stopped smoking and although I gain weight, the health benefits are so enormous that I never regret it, no for a single moment).

For every one who still have reservations about whether or not a method with no apparatus like Dynamic Tension can build strenght, I want to say that IT SURE CAN.

Charles Atlas himself was able to chin hiself up 34 times without stopping (it's writen in the "Secrets of muscular power and beauty" booklet).

Health and Strength to everyone

George Stathis
Greece
Atlas Evangelist
Last Name: Merritt
First Name: Nathaniel
Address: 6655 South Oquirrh Ridge Road West Jordan Utah 84081
Phone: 8019555471

Post by Atlas Evangelist »

Bend your right arm at the elbow, into an "L" shape. Raise the arm until it is above your head. Place yhour left fist underneath your right elbow. Now press down as hard as you can with your right arm, the left arm resisting. Then use your right fist to press upward against your right elbow, right arm resisting but still allowing the right arm to return to its position above your head. Do as many reps as you can without straining. Rest sixty seconds and repeat. Then switch arm positions and continue.

Also, since Charles Atlas could do over thirty chinups, chinups were obviously a part of his exercise routine.
Get a chinup bar. :-)