starting out

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
middleaged
Last Name: Abouit
First Name: Fuggett
Address: 237 unknown ave

starting out

Post by middleaged »

Hello everyone any advise for a newbie just starting? I am 45 years old and about 45 lbs overweight looking to build muscle and lose fat while building my endurance and stamina. Want to get ripped not sure how to follow course and diet. I know to follow 1 for 2 weeks then add course 2 and 3 for 2 weeks drop them and add 4 and 5 etc. How many sets should i do of each exercise and reps , how long to rest between sets, etc. I weigh 255 lbs most carried around my middle want to get down to 200- 220 ripped thanks all.
zigzag
Last Name: dinning
First Name: john
Address: 18 belvedere rd blackburn lancs
Phone: 01254245709

Re: starting out

Post by zigzag »

Hello middleaged and welcome. I find doing three sets of each exercise works for me. At the begining you can be over enthusiastic it is at this point that problems start. Just take it easy and do each of the sets (if you wish to do three that is, two or one is OK if you find it works for you ) and exercise until you feel a little tired, the secret of DT is train don't strain. When I perform the DT I leave enough time in between each set for my breathing to return to normal then continue with another set or exercise.If you carry out each exercise as laid down by CA and watch your diet believe me you will be more than happy with the results.
Another tip which has always worked for me is'; if you ever feel at some point that you find it difficult to slot the course around the rest of the things that crop up day by day. Go to the computer and click on to this Charles Atlas site and read some of the testimonials from other guys and ladies of how DT has worked for them. That really gives me a buzz! Best wishes
middleaged
Last Name: Abouit
First Name: Fuggett
Address: 237 unknown ave

Post by middleaged »

Thanks zigzag for the advise will do how long have you been doing dt?
nils123
Last Name: Evensen
First Name: Nils
Address: 9679 south paisley circle

Post by nils123 »

Hi,

Congrats on taking your first step to a whole new body and outlook on life!

It won't be easy, but I can already tell, your up for the challenge.

I would suggest maybe some cardio to go along with your new workout plan, I like to jog, but i'm young and have good joints, if you have some tough joints try bicycling, or fast walking.

Don't worry so much about getting a good cardio workout, just do it daily and you'll see results.

As far as the Atlas program goes I do 4 sets of each exercise, or 2 if I don't have much time.

Nutrition wise just write down everything you eat all day, and the amount of calories you take in, I take in around 2000 calories or so a day, and I lose weight just fine. You don't need any complicated diets or supplements.

I've been doing the atlas program for 6 months now, and am a 19 year old ripped kid.

Hope this helps!

- NIls
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Post by Bridge »

Welcome, Middleaged! As said above, you can vary the sets according to how you feel. I do between 1-4 sets, depending on my energy levels. I think it is good to mix up your routine now and then to keep from burning yourself out, and to relieve boredom. With over 90 exercises in the course, this is never a problem. As said above, if you can keep your daily caloric intake down to 2000 calories, and exercise daily, you should in a short time level off at about 200 pounds. The forumula I use is to consume 10 calories for every pound I want to weigh, when I'm overweight. I lost from 211 pounds down to 160 pounds using this formula. I wanted to weigh 160 pounds, thus I consumed 1600 calories daily and exercised diligently. It took me 6 months to reach my goal. Stay with the program, as Atlas said, "one step at a time, and the job is done." Good luck.
fasters
Last Name: Welsch
First Name: Tim
Address: Tampa FL 33602

Post by fasters »

I am just starting out as well. Looking forward to it though and getting back into shape. Long over due on my end. I have been spending to much time on the road consulting at my job with Sunera. ;) I think am definitely going to put in some cardio with my workout plan so thanks for reaffirming what I already thought. I think the biggest thing is just sticking with it all and not giving up.
fasters
zigzag
Last Name: dinning
First Name: john
Address: 18 belvedere rd blackburn lancs
Phone: 01254245709

Post by zigzag »

Hi fasters and welcome. The secret I believe is to have the determination to carry out the lessons no matter what. I first started the course in the 1960s but unfortunately I have not had the best of health and have had to sideline the course sometimes in consequence which was regrettable. I have had over twelve months of good health behind me and have progressed in leaps and bounds. The DT course if you stick with it will bring you many rewards not just in your all over appearance but in your confidence and general well being.
I have said this before on this forum that I get a heck of a buzz going over the comments of other followers of this great method whenever I feel a little low or complacent, try it it will boost your confidence no end. Best wishes.