SHAVING

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

SHAVING

Post by SPEARHEAD »

In the old forum, there was a thread offering shaving advice. I didn't save it nor print it out. It contained some very valuable advice on shaving. I haven't shaved in ages. I suspect that in the not too distant future I will be returning to shaving. Having not shaved in such a long time I have probably forgotten how. On that old thread there was a lot of advice for avoiding certain results, results that were instrumental in my giving up the practice. Things such as razor burn, etc. When I do go back to shaving, I want to avoid these problems. The thing is, I don't remember what the advice was. I would appreciate it if those of you here who contributed to that thread would re-contribute that advice - for me - please. thank you!.
SPEARHEAD

Re: SHAVING

Post by SPEARHEAD »

I guess no one here shaves anymore. COOOOOOOOOL!!!!!! 8-)
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Post by curdog »

I remember that discussion in the old forum. There was some pretty good stuff on it.

I came across a product that you might want to try. Its called Shave Secret, or something like it. I have bought it for my staff and they all like it. It takes about four drops massaged into the face and then water. When you use the razor it painlessly and perfectly glides across your face. I have never had a more pleasant or better shave. It only costs a few dollars and the bottle will last you a very long time. It replaces shaving cream and can also replace aftershave. It smells nice and is a good moisturizer.
hr3george
Last Name: Robbins
First Name: George
Address: 2060B Montreat Drive Vestavia AL 35216
Phone: 2055150469

Post by hr3george »

Get the 4 blade Fusion razor. It is great. I have a heavy beard and can sometimes go 2 days without shaving. Costs a bit more than other razors but worth it. If you have oily skin use Nivea Oil Control aftershave.
SPEARHEAD

Post by SPEARHEAD »

Thanks for the tip!
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Post by curdog »

I've tried the Fusion Razor, and it is the best razor ever imho. You are right about it being pricey. I bought a few disposables on a trip and am using them up, but I will probably go back to the Fusion despite the price.
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Post by emfermi »

It´s my experience that in the shaving department nothing does the job better done and at a very affordable price than an old-fashioned and classic double edge safety razor. The blades are far cheaper and biodegradable, which is good for our resource-limited world. Besides each blade lasts around one week. You can still buy these beauties in ebay and even there are some new ones still manufactured. Just google it. One very important point of these razors is that they help prevent in-grown hairs. As a general rule, all shaving razors (except for straight edege razors) avoid direct intimate contact between the blade and the skin, to avoid cuts, ie the term "safety". More blades does not mean a closer shave. One blade will cut the hair. Every extra blade will only try to cut the hair, but since it has already being cut by the first one, it will efectively pull it, curling it. Result, in-grown hair. Think about it and forget that "simulations" from Gillete and Shick.

Concerning the shaving cream, I prefer to use shaving soap, with brush, mug and all. The reason is simple. The way to avoid razor burn is to prevent it in the first place. That can only be done with good lubrication and nothing can beat a good shaving soap. Besides, most of them are hipoallergic. On the other side, shaving creams do not lubricate that much, but have many chemicals to lessen razor burn. Again, shaving soaps are very cheap. When using the soap, the correct way to lather is the following. Wet the brush with hot water and put it upside down until it does not drip (do not shake). Take the brush and without pushing make circular movements on soap surface. This will fill the brush with soap. When lather just starts to form, take the brush and lather on YOUR face using circular motion. Your face should have being previously wetted with hot water. Effectively you are forming the lather on your face, that's the trick.

To shave with the double edge safety razor, place it on your face. Give it an angle around 20° with your skin and pull down without pushing that much on your skin. Let the weight of the razor help you. The first shave should always be done in the direction your beard grows, with varies depending on which part of your face you are shaving. If you want a closer shave, relather as described and shave this time against the grain. Rinse using cold water. That helps to contract the pores. Then use an alcohol-free aftershave.

Another tip. Try to shave after you shower. In that way you face is wet, your beard has soften thanks to the hot water.

Hope it helps.