100 Reps

How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

100 Reps

Post by Bridge »

As I get older and wiser, my attitudes toward exercise have changed, and I finally realize what "train don't strain" really means. I have found that 100 total reps of any exercise is more than enough, whether you do them in one set or 4 sets of 25. Pounding out high volume reps day after day of pushups and other exercises can strain the joints and cause other problems. I know I used to pound out many reps, as many as 500 per day a few years ago, but this is totally unnecessary and really not desirable. I now do not exceed 100 reps ever. I mix it up by doing what feels right on a daily basis, it might be 4 sets of 25, two sets of 50, or reps say of 65 and 35, whatever feels right. Any take on this?
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Re: 100 Reps

Post by emfermi »

You might be right on that one Bridge. I think 100 dips per session gets you a great workout without any joint problem in the long term. That does not mean that you can`t do a high repetition session if you feel like it. But on a regular basis I think it would tend to increase the wear rate of the joints. Remember that Mr Atlas recommended doing 100 dips per day and 200 if you wanted a superb chest development. And since he recommended training twice per day, it translates to doing between 50-100 dips per training session. Gosh, DT was really way ahead of it´s time!!! :D
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

Right on! The Atlas Course was "light years" ahead of its time. So many of the so-called modern techniques like greasing the groove, mini-workouts, etc., were all in the Atlas course many years ago.
zigzag
Last Name: dinning
First Name: john
Address: 18 belvedere rd blackburn lancs
Phone: 01254245709

Post by zigzag »

Hi again,
I wonder how you guys feel about working out when your are a bit run down suffering from a cold etc? Sometimes when I've been unwell I find that exercising actually brings me round again and I feel much better for it. Other times such as now with a stinking cold all I want to do is reach for a hot toddy!
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

We have to listen to our bodies. If I have a slight cold and feel tired, etc., I work out very lightly until I feel better. If I have a severe cold or flu, I rest completely until I feel able to exercise again.
tyciol
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Jordan
Address: Canada

Post by tyciol »

It's interesting because when I read about the routine of wrestler Chris Jericho, he had advocated doing high repetition schemes like this. Although that was with the bench press and with a light weight. The dip seems like more exertion and also a healthier way of doing so (since you can use the lower pec better from the angle) which explains why people get better strength from it.

Not to mention the benefits of the spinal traction while we dangle.