The Big Three

How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

The Big Three

Post by Bridge »

I now only do the Big 3, pushups, squats, and walking, and these exercises serve me well. They can be done almost anywhere at any time, and basicly are more refreshing, to me at least, than other exercises. I am dealing with Father Time now, and want to avoid damaging my back, etc., which situps and leg raises can do, and as you age chinups/pullups can affect your shoulders adversely. While sitting at the computer right now, I have just banged out 4 sets of 25 of pushups and squats. Throughout the day, if I feel like it, I will do more, but usually i do at least 4x25 daily. Then I take a leisurely, no big rush, walk of 2-4 miles, depending on mood and weather for the distance covered. A few stretches done later in the day, and that's it for me. Atlas said to train and not strain, and in my old age I'm finally getting the message. Also, little workouts throughout the day as advised by Atlas are very refreshing, and give you a big lift when you are feeling tired during the day. The genius of the Atlas course, is that it can be adapted so many differenet ways.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Re: The Big Three

Post by Henry Marczak »

I have a similar 3 basic routine I do sometimes...

50 squats - hips below knee level, feet straight, shoulder width apart.
20 push-ups - full arm extension and chin to floor
30 sit-ups - knees bent with feet flat on floor, back straight and bring chest up to knees, no jerking.

Repeat 4 times none stop.
ttiros1
Last Name: s
First Name: thomas
Address: Virginia

Post by ttiros1 »

Now that I am 64 I also have slowed down my DT. I use to do lesson 1-12 every other day and the perpetuals off days. Now I do the perpetuals 3 times a week and do L3-2, L4-2, L4-5 four times a week. I will resume walking 3 miles three times a week when the cold weather is over.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

ttiros1 wrote:I will resume walking 3 miles three times a week when the cold weather is over.
My wife and her brother have gotten into winter hiking on weekends around local trails even in the snow. We got rain recently so they did a bike river trail that's paved.
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Post by SPEARHEAD »

I know an 85 year old man who walks 6 miles every day. I'm happy with 3.
jtheath100
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Post by jtheath100 »

I'm afraid I'm not very disciplined at the Atlas program. Now that I'm 72 I couldn't do twice a day workouts if my life depended on it. Some days I don't do anything other than take a walk. But often I do a "mini workout" at odd times during the day such as you guys are mentioning. Dips, deep knee bends, a couple exercises based on how long it's been since I last did them. (seldom more than 2-3 days) I like to do them while I'm walking, too. I love an early 5:30 a.m. walk and doing upper body Atlas exercises while I walk in the quiet early morning hour. Nothing like it!
Keep at it!
Jim
ttiros1
Last Name: s
First Name: thomas
Address: Virginia

Post by ttiros1 »

Jim. i think its great you are still at it. hope i can do that at 72.
jtheath100
Last Name: Heath
First Name: James
Address: 473 Morris Avenue Providence RI 02906

Post by jtheath100 »

ttiros1
well there are times I get away from being as regular as I imagine I "should" be, but over the long haul what keeps me at Atlas exercises is lack of injuries (which is a lot more likely when overdoing it with weights), and the experience of just feeling better when I exercise regularly than when I don't. I'm not muscular, never have been, but I think the real Plus of the Atlas program is that even though it is marketed as a muscle building program it's much broader than that. I'm fit and healthy and reasonably strong for my size and age, and that's good enough for me. It's a program you can follow all your life as a way to care for yourself. Best of luck, my friend!
Jim