Handstand Accomplished!!!!

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Handstand Accomplished!!!!

Post by emfermi »

I first became interested in the handstand at the tender age of 10. A gymnastics instructor offered a gymnastics activity at school and I entered it with much enthusiasm. I put a lot of effort in all the skills that were taught, specially the handstand. But the results were very discouraging. I could not perform even ONE agaisnt the wall with the assistance from the instructor. I simply collapsed. So at the age of 10, I gave up saying to myself "Luigi, you are no good for this". Sadly, everyone agreed with me, including the instructor.

Many years went by before I came across Dynamic Tension. With it, came a little course on handbalancing. At first, I dismissed it. But then I saw photos of Mr. Atlas performing the feat, one at the age of 62. I even found a video of him performing a handstand in the beach, supporting each hand on the interlaced hands of his son and daughter. VERY inspiring :) Thanks to being now in a perennial search of personal growth (which in hindsight started with doing the DT course), I was confronted with all the fears I had and the handstand one popped up. It is nonsense I cannot do it, I simply accepted the fact that I learn at a different pace to others. I had compared myself and comparison with others has no place in my new found life. So I decided I will master the handstand.

My plan was to take it in small steps. I had to make previous steps before trying the handstand because I needed them. That meant making a progression from easy to harder exercises to work up to the free handstand. For that, I came up with the following progression:
  • Tuck headstand. Is a headstand with the knees resting on your upper arm, so from the side you appear tucked. I worked up to 1 minute.
  • Headstand agaisnt the wall. In the headstand you place your head on a pillow, with your hands a little wider than shoulder width and away from the body so that the elbows are are 90° aproximately. The head and hand placement on the floor from a triangle, so that you support yourself kind od like a tripod. The legs are straight up against the wall. I worked up to 1 minute.
  • Free standing headstand. A headstand performed without the help of a wall. I worked up to 1 minute
  • The crane pose: Squat down and place both hands on the floor, shoulder width apart, in front of feet. Slowly tilt forward until the feet leave the ground, with legs ouside the arms. I worked up to 1 minute
Also, once I got to the crane pose, I kept practicing the free standing headstand to not lose the balance gained. So after some months of hard work, I figured out I was ready to try the handstand against the wall as instructed in the handbalancing Atlas course. I layed down a few sleeping bags on the floor and started practicing the kick, just as the Atlas course teaches for two days. On the weekend I just "went for it" and managed a 20 second handstand. I cannot express how happy I was when I accomplished that I had failed at 20 years ago!!!! I am planning to working up to a one minute hold and then try handtand push-ups ;)

BTW, I practiced 3 times per week without straining, leaving the pose with a few seconds "in the bank". So there you have it, my "method" to manage a handstand for hard cases just like me!!!!! Also, please have under your belt the 12 week DT course before attemping this!!!! Also if you feel you are straining DON'T DO IT!
pegasus
Last Name: Thompson
First Name: Robert
Address: 723 Folsom Lane 90 Lincoln NE 68522

Re: Handstand Accomplished!!!!

Post by pegasus »

That's cool! I know from experience that the CA course makes you realize that you can do anything that you put your mind to
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

My effort...

Ware
Last Name: ware
First Name: ryan
Address: my house

Post by Ware »

Emfermi,

That is a great and motivating story. Congratulation on your achievement. The harder something is to achieve, the more satisfaction you feel when you do!
emfermi

Post by emfermi »

Ware, I could not agree more. BTW, I have now worked up to a 45 second hold. I am very excited because I am getting closer to my goal of trying handstand push-ups :)
emfermi

Post by emfermi »

By now I have worked up to 5 half handstand pushups (I just descend half), done for two sets. The first set is a handstand hold of one minute, just to prepare those muscles for the push-ups 8-) I am planning on getting the number up to 10 before trying to dip fully. I'll let you all know how I'm doing :mrgreen:
lancers
Last Name: Ducharme
First Name: Craig
Address: PO Box 12 Stuarts Draft Virginia 24477
Phone: 5408496811

Post by lancers »

This takes much practice and balance. What a great achievement!!
Jabbers
Last Name: John
First Name: Ball
Address: Australia
Phone: 0401910309

Post by Jabbers »

Wow thats great ! Hey Henry thats impressive i am going to give it ago!
emfermi

Post by emfermi »

Update on my performace:

By now I am up to 10 full handstand push-ups. I am planning on getting the numbers up to 15 and then try to place the hands on stands (small ones first) instead of on the floor to increase the range of motion. The same principle of Atlas Dips but applied to handstands :D You know, basically a push-up is an horizontal pushing movement, whereas a handstand push up is a vertical pushing movement. I while be still using the wall though.

All of you have a great day and may God bless you all!!!!
geosta
Last Name: Stathis
First Name: George
Address: Amfipoleos 18-20 54454 Thessaloniki Greece
Phone: 2310921682

Post by geosta »

Congratulations emfermi! Your performance is very impressive and inspiring!
"Give every man more in use value
than you take from him in cash value;
then you are adding to the life of the
world
by every business transaction"

Wallace D. Wattles