How it feels to follow the principals of "Dynamic-Tension®"
Hux
Last Name: Huxley
First Name: Michael
Address: 2404 Bush St San Francisco CA 94115

Thinking of beginning Atlas Course...

Post by Hux »

...but I have a few questions first.

First one, what exactly does "Dynamic-Tension" mean? I've heard it equated to isometrics, which I've read are only good for maintinaing muscle mass, but not building it.

Second, how is the Atlas course for beginners? When I say beginners, I mean, absolute, never-worked-out-a-day-in-my-life beginner.

Thirdly, what is the time commitment, and does it work? I've seen a lot of programs at bookstores that say things like "only 7 minutes a day," "complete workoujt in only 4 minutes a week", and the like. I have a hard time believing such systems actually work. And I've read that movie stars and bodybuilders to get their physiques can spend up to 4 hours a day in the gym, and I just don't have that kind of time.

Finally, I was planning on getting the Introduction to Fitness first, before I got the full course. Just to see how it goes. Is that a good idea, or should I just jump into the full course?

I have to say, though, I like what I've read about the Atlas system. I like that it requires no equipment, that there's a focus on improving oneself not merely to impress girls, and I like it's vintage-ness. I like the classic Americana feel to it.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing more.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Re: Thinking of Beginning Atlas Course...

Post by Henry Marczak »

...but I have a few questions first.

First one, Dynamic-Tension is the name of the whole Charles Atlas System and not about a kind of exercise.

Second, I was able to bring myself back to health after pneumonia when my strength was way down low.

Thirdly, you can spend 15 mins in the morning and evening, as you progress this can increase and also you can do some exercise at odd moments of your day.

Finally, I would go with the full course and follow the instructions and make it part of your daily training.

I'm not a huge guy, I'm 5" 9" and 148 lbs or so, but I'm lean and fit, my muscles definition and my abs are very lean (not many guys at 56 have abs clearly visible).

Don't put your mind in the way weight lifters think, the Dynamic-Tension System will get your physique in shape and you will be able to train anywhere at any time, as hard or moderate as you like.
combat crew
Last Name: Mickey
First Name: Mouse
Address: Out of this world
Phone: 1234567890

Re: Thinking of beginning Atlas Course...

Post by combat crew »

HI HUX, WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

DYNAMIC TENSION IS THE SAFEST WAY TO BUILD UP YOUR BODY. YOU START OFF AT A LEVEL THAT SUITS YOU. THE BEST PART IS TRAINING WITHOUT STRAINING.

YOU WILL START TO SEE AND FEEL RESULTS USUALLY IN 7 TO 10 DAYS. SOME PEOPLE SOONER.
TO START I WOULD SAY 15 MINUTES PER DAY.

I PERSONALLY TRAIN FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES A DAY BUT NEVER MORE THAN 1 HOUR IN A DAY.

MY INCREASE IN STRENGHTH IS QUITE STAGGERING, FROM STRUGGLING TO DO 12 DIPS THE FIRST DAY, TO BEING ABLE TO DO AT LEAST 200 DIPS IN ONE DAY WITH EASE.

I HAVE BOTH COURSES AND ARE BOTH EXCELLENT, THE FULL COURSE REALLY IS IN DEPTH, WITH NOTHING LEFT OUT.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU HUX

THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR TRAINING

IAN
Hux

Post by Hux »

Thanks for the help, guys. I truly appreciate it. I think I'm going to with the sampler course at first, simply because, being in college, money is a little tight right now, and the sampler course is smaller investment. If it works out though, obviously I'll buy the full course. Plus, you get all kinds of goodies with the sampler course. I plan on buying the smpler this weekend, and I'll post a report on my progress in two or three weeks.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

P.S. Does anyone know if Charles Atlas knew Lester Dent, the co-creator and writer of Doc Savage? Doc stayed in peak physical condition with two hours a day of mental and physical exercises which he could do anywhere in the world. I'm wondering if Charles Atlas contributed in anyway to Doc Savage, or whether he was just an inspiration for the character.
hellbender451
Last Name: fonte
First Name: matthew
Address: flushing ny 11355

Post by hellbender451 »

Hi Hux.
It's been a few weeks since you said you would order the course and I'm curious about something. If you ordered and received it, did it seem as though it took a long time to be delivered? This relates to the nostalgic aspect of Atlas and what you called the vitage-ness. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who felt like a little kid (I'm 42) who saw the add in a comic book and wondered if it would realy work (When a kid, I asked a friend to go halve$ and share the book. The friend insisted Atlas used weights). Checking the mailbox every day hoping to find my course material. Excited and eager to get started. Imagining what the workouts would be like and what it would do for me. Curious what this guy from the days before most schols had health and P.E. classes, before TV and Jack LaLane, had to offer. Not unimportantly, thinking how fun it would be when people notice the change in you and you tell them you did the Atlas course.
So, Hux? Anyone else? Or is it just me?
Hux

Post by Hux »

Hey guys, sorry it's been awhile since I checked in. I accidentally had my course sent to my old address(I ,oved about two weeks before I ordered the course) and it took a few weeks to sort everything. Plus, it's been a very busy semester. But I'm really looking forward to starting the course (well, I've started it, but only been doing it a week). One thing that surprised me is how simple the course is, particularly the nutrition section. I'm so used to nutrition books resembling something more like voodoo rituals, involving specific timing of meals, complex calculations of calories and macro-nutrients, etc. The Atlas course is so simple, and frankly, common sensical.

And Hellbender, yes I did look forward to getting my course in the mail. I love retro stuff (particularly from the 30's to about the early 60's), and the Atlas course fits right in with that. My girlfriend often says that I was born 40 years too late. Speaking of the changes in oneself, I'm actually glad for the mix-up with my order. I go to school in San Francisco, but am originally from New Hampshire, so I'm there for three weeks for the holidays. So I'll be able to make a little progress in the course before I go back to San Fran. Hopefully people will notice.