Walking

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Walking

Post by Bridge »

Mr. Atlas advises us to walk 3 miles per day. What a tonic this is for the body! When I miss a day of walking, I feel guilty, because it makes me feel so good. Many fitness experts, doctors, etc. all say that walking is the best exercise you can do. I guess most of the posters on this forum take a daily walk, right? Walking can relieve stress, get you out in the fresh air and sunshine, and give you a great aerobic workout. Most of the people I know who are really up in age, 70's, 80's, and who are in good shape are all walkers.
curdog
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Re: Walking

Post by curdog »

I agree whole-heartedly! Most of the old people I know who are doing well physically are walkers.

Some stuies show that there is a real link between leg strength and longevity. The reason is obvious. If you can continue walking, thats good for your heart, digestion, mind, social connection, etc. So, if you can only do one thing, keep walking.

Also, I have noticed that Atlas must be taken very literally here. For about two years I walked two miles a day with hardly any gains. I got a very active puppy and started walking three miles with him (he is no longer a pup but an adult Atlas Dog). I noticed that the aerobic benefits and fat consumption, etc., all begin around the two mile walk. The two miles are just warm-up. The third mile is where the gains are made.
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

Right on! At the two mile mark, you are just getting warmed up, and that third mile is when the calories are burned big time, and you see results, weight loss, more energy, etc. Atlas was far ahead of his time about aerobic exercise, greasing the groove, as he advocated doing little workouts throughout the day, as well as morning and evening, as well as a lot of other things. The more you look at, the more you realize that the DT course is far ahead of all the rest. It is complete in itself, there is no need for a supplement.
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Post by emfermi »

Walking is a marvelous exercise. It gets you outdoors and the impact level on the knees is not that tough. It is amazing to realize how complete the DT course is. I really get pissed off when people who have never in their lifes done the DT course make such erroneous claims about it. One guy even told me that DT is bad for your heart :?: , because Mr. Atlas died of a heart attack. What he ignored was that he passed away at eighty years old and that he used to jog at the beach 10 miles every day! :D I guess that it's just a natural human reaction to fear the unknown.
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Post by SPEARHEAD »

There's a lot of ignorant know it alls out there. Another contributing factor to Atlas' heart attack was his family history of heart attacks. He probably would've died years earlier, or been bed fast for years, had it not been for his physical culture lifestyle.
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

Atlas died at age 80, which was a lot more than the average person lived in his day.
william s
Last Name: stacy
First Name: william
Address: 12400 winfree st chester va 23831

Post by william s »

Atlas was way ahead of his time. Walking is one of the best exercises you can do. Because of a large steel plate in my left leg I only walk every other day but I feel a great deal of benefits from walking. Atlas has been an inspiration for numerous generations and I hope for many more.
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

Walking is great, especially up hills and steps.
DT_lover
Last Name: w
First Name: a
Address: USA

Post by DT_lover »

Well, I find a combo of both walking and running to be the perfect fit for me. I especially love to do sprints up slopes and grades in the road. Mr. Atlas was very well ahead of his time. I wouldn't run more than a mile and a half, though. This would keep the stress down on the joints. A nice brisk walk as described in the DT course is the perfect companion to DT itself. I will run for a distance and then I will briskly walk to keep my pulse up to 80% and beyond. I keep check on my pulse by my pulse watch. Brisk walking is a great fat burner and conditioner as well. Along with DT, a brisk walk is the perfect combination.
Wayne