Trophy Winner 1936

Charles Atlas inspires millions to exercise and feel good about themselves. Talk about how Charles Atlas has inspired you. Success stories from Atlas Students!
rocky
Last Name: Hill
First Name: Kirby
Address: carthageTX

Trophy Winner 1936

Post by rocky »

If you want to see what the Atlas course can do for you, take a look at the Atlas Trophy winner from 1936. His name was William McMaster, and he may have even had as good a physique as Atlas himself. I came across his obituary while surfing the internet the other day. The following is a quote from a publication by Columbia University.

William H. “Hank” McMaster, retired CPA, Naples, Fla., on November 4, 2007. McMaster was born in Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, and grew up in Queens. As a Boy Scout, he won the Charles Atlas Trophy in 1936 and became an Eagle Scout; his love of wildlife and the outdoors continued throughout his life. McMaster served in WWII as a lieutenant in the Navy in the Pacific and Atlantic theaters. Prior to retiring, he was co-owner and CFO of Viking Sewing Machine in Minneapolis and controller of Gorham Silver. McMaster was a life member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants and Financial Executives Institute. He was an avid golfer and worldwide traveler, and moved to the Naples area in 1983 from Wayzata, Minn. McMaster was a member of the St. Andrew’s Society, the English Speaking Union and First Presbyterian Church. He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Marian W.; daughters, Carolyn, and Dorothy M. Stevens; and numerous cousins abroad. He was predeceased by his brother, Robert ’42. Memorial contributions may be made to Schepens Eye Research Institute, 20 Stanford St., Boston, MA 02114.

You can easily see that the Atlas course helped McMaster grow into a full-orbed individual . . . . a success in the fullest sense of the word. He was a true ATLAS MAN!

Lets do our best to continue the Atlas Legacy.
SPEARHEAD
Last Name: Head
First Name: Spear
Address: 3 Earth Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Trophy Winner 1936

Post by SPEARHEAD »

I have looked for this man's photo and can't find it. Can you direct us to it?
curdog
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Post by curdog »

I'm sorry I didn't see this message sooner or I would have replied to it before now.

Anyway, you can see the 1936 trophy winner in the museum right here on the Charles Atlas website. On my monitor it comes up around the third page on the old advertisement section.

Hope this helps!
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
First Name: Robert
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Post by Bridge »

I see a Mr. William Goldstein winning the Silver Atlas Trophy For 1936 on page 3 advertisement. I don't see a McMaster.
curdog
Address: Kirby Hill 1023 Forrest Lane Carthage Texas 75633
Phone: 9363713628

Post by curdog »

You know, Bridge, you are absolutely RIGHT. The winner of the 1936 Atlas Trophy was a Mr. Goldstein.

In defense of Rocky, however, let me point out that there was, at least according to the Columbia College website, an alum of their college who won an Atlas trophy in 1936. You can see this at college.columbia.edu under their archive section.

Their may have been multiple trophies given that year, or perhaps their website is mistaken, I don't know. We do know, however, that it was a Goldstein who is in that picture. Perhaps the Atlas Company can clear up this mystery.
emfermi
Last Name: Fermi
First Name: Luis
Address: Pancho Fierro 130A Street Lima 27 Peru
Phone: 5114228670

Post by emfermi »

In those “hey days” for DT and Charles Atlas Ltd, the Atlas Trophy Contest was held every 3 months if my memory serves me well. So it may well be true that they both were awarded with a Trophy that year, but on different months for 1936.