is twice daily necessary

Talk about your course experiences, ask questions of fellow Atlas Students and have fun!
pegasus
Last Name: Thompson
First Name: Robert
Address: 723 Folsom Lane 90 Lincoln NE 68522

is twice daily necessary

Post by pegasus »

Is it really necessary to perform the DT exercises twice daily? Couldn't that lead to over training? I also try to do as many reps as possible to tire me out, but I was wondering how high I should go on my reps for exercies like the imaginary rope pull, the fist in the palm push (both found in lesson one) Please give me some feed back so that I can get the most out of my training
Bridge
Last Name: Boggs
Address: 1444 Midfield Drive

Re: is twice daily necessary

Post by Bridge »

We are all different and have to listen to our bodies. For me, after trial and error, and mixing things up over the years, I have found that one set of the exercises until slightly tired, and then a nice brisk walk for 3 miles, keeps me feeling very energized for the whole day. I never really enjoyed working out twice per day, as I have always believed we should leave a little gas in the tank. What constitutes training and not straining is different for all of us. Sometimes it is better to alternate your workouts, just do the Perpetual Lesson exercises one day, and then just go for a long walk the next day, in other words keep the body guessing what's next.
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Thanks for the feedback. But I am still unsure if I should be doing the dt eaxercises twice a day or once a day. I want to follow the program as close as possible to obtain maximum results but it seems that twicw a day using maximum pressure and exertion might b a little too much
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

What do you do all day ? I'm 57, do some DT in the morning, go to work as a general labourer on a building site and still workout in the evening. What exercises are you doing and how much?
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

Remember Atlas said "train don't strain"! Going for maximum reps with maximum force every workout will lead to burnout. You will make great progress with the DT course. Just be patient, train and don't strain, and the results will come. Whether once or twice a day is best for you, only you can determine, but as I've said, I would mix it up from time to time, a hard workout followed by a moderate workout, one workout per day, then two workouts the next day. Everybody is different, and we have to find out what works best for ourselves. It is good to change your workouts from time to time. This is the genius of the DT course and the 12 lesson layout. Once again try to remember that Atlas said to do the workouts until slightly tired, we are not to exhaust ourselves. This is a hard lesson to learn when we have been bombarded over the years with the "no pain, no gain" mantra. Stick with the program, through trial and error you will find what's best for you. Good luck.
nils123
Last Name: Evensen
First Name: Nils
Address: 9679 south paisley circle

Post by nils123 »

I wondered the same thing when I first went through it, I was scared of overtraining too.

I followed it twice a day and saw nothing but amazing results, I would advise following it, I think that it's harder to overtrain, because your body is controlling the exact amount of weight being used.

If you are above the age of 50 though I might start off with only 1 a day, as it may be easier to overtrain.

Hope this helps.

- Nils
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

Basicly, we have to remember to "train, don't strain", rather than "no pain, no gain." We have been immersed for years with the no pain, no gain philosophy, and it's hard to get this out of your mind. But if you train as Atlas advised, doing an exercise until slightly tired, without pushing yourself to the limit, then twice a day training can be very rewarding. If we push ourselves to the limit every day, even if only working out once a day, then we can become burned out very quickly, as straining day after day overburdens the central nervous system.
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Bridge - Thanks for your insight and suggestions

Markzak _ I'm 47, Do DT training around 6:00 a.m., Go to college to about 4:00 p.m. , Then I teach and trainin in the martial arts for about 3 hours, come home do my homework and try to spend some time with my wife. That is why I have a hard time getting my second time of training in DT done.
As form the exercises and how may times I'm putting in? I am doing all the exercise required by the course at 10 sets of 10 reps. and the ones that required isometric contraction I am also doing 10 sets of 10 reps and holding a maximum contraction for 10 sec.

nils123 _ Glad to see that I am not the only person who has thought about the idea of over training
Bridge

Post by Bridge »

If you are over 50 years of age, or just starting DT, you might consider just doing one set of each exercise morning and evening. By doing this, you don't wear yourself out, and give your body a chance to recover. This is what I now do, thanks to Father Time. I do one set in the morning, take a 3 mile walk, and then do another set in the evening. It is working wonders for me. We are all different though, and there is no one shoe that fits all.
Henry Marczak
Last Name: Mars attack
First Name: Henry
Address: Ontario Canada
Phone: 5194576319

Post by Henry Marczak »

Bridge wrote:If you are over 50 years of age, or just starting DT.
Why would over 50 be in the same category as someone starting out ? I'm almost 58 and I challenge the young guys on the building site to pull-ups or toe to ceiling hanging leg raises.